Who We Are
The Tidewater Sharks, in conjunction with the WISC, are a 500+ player recreational league, an Advanced Preparation (AP) developmental program consisting of a 40+ player pool and 32 youth travel teams from U9 to U18. Our travel teams are placed in the EDP (Eastern Development Program), VPL (Virginia Premier League), and TASL (Tidewater Area Soccer League) depending on numbers and talent level.
Our mission is to develop the player first in order to prepare them to be successful on and off the soccer field. The community is at the heart of the club, and we are proud to have good people in our program. Our staff ensures our players are accountable, show enjoyment, unified, respectful, competitive, and show leadership to help them grow in life. We value strong relationships between our full time staff, coaches, players and parents which helps maintain and build unification from the top down.
Our decisions always come down to the question; what is best for the player?
What Makes Us Different
The player comes first. The coaching staff’s primary goal is to provide our teams and players with the best competitive environments available with an emphasis on long-term player development. We encourage all technical and tactical aspects of the game conducive to the player’s age and ability. Furthermore, we deem it necessary to educate our players on what it takes to be the complete athlete. This includes understanding the value of team development along with individual improvement, nutrition, benefits of age-appropriate weightlifting, agility and fitness and the college recruiting process. Unlike most clubs, we emphasize healthy communication between the parent, athlete and coach to understand and reach the player’s full potential.
What We Value
- Honesty: A respectful relationship between coaches, parents, and players.
- Integrity: An appreciative awareness of opponents, referees, coaches, parents, and teammates. We respect the game of soccer and the positive impact it has on the lives of others. We honor the rules of the game. We strive to make the right decision at the right time for the right reason.
- Communication: We believe constant communication between team managers, coaches, parents, Tidewater Sharks staff and WISC staff creates a healthy and safe environment for players to excel at the highest level.
- Grit: Encouraging all the players to understand the importance of striving for excellence with tenacity and hard work.
- Player Development: Individualizing our efforts as coaches to understand how to best motivate/coach our players and placing them in the most competitive environments to be successful.
- Adaptability: Understanding players develop at different times and therefore we must adjust practices, games, and the environment conducive to these staggered levels.
- Equality: All athletes regardless of gender or age have an opportunity to develop in the best environments to include facilities, coaches, and teammates.